Friday, January 25, 2013

While I was at my parents for Christmas I saw this old rocking chair in the garage.  I asked my mom about it and she told me it was my grandmothers that she received as a gift at a child.  And my mom had had it for years and had painted it white and had started once to strip some of the paint off.  It was also a little rickety but for the most part it was in great shape for a 75 yr old chair.  I asked my mom it I could take and fix it up a bit.  At first I thought I would just replace the screws to help with the ricketyness.  That didn't fix anything and then I decided I would like to strip the paint and maybe paint it again.  I took a couple of days but I was able to get all the white paint off and most of the original green color.  I guess the green had been on so long that it stained the wood green.  I got a piece of wood to screw in to help the wobbling, used some of the paint strippings to 'paint' the new wood and TA DA! A nice antique children's rocking chair that my boys have been fighting over.  I only wish they made things nowadays that could last for 75 yrs.

Before

After